Define user roles
You can control how your users access your app by assigning roles. Different types of users may need different permissions and controls. It’s possible to create different roles based on their needs. User roles are set at the business level of your account.
Add user roles
- In the Business menu at the top of the screen, choose Roles. The User roles page opens showing any user roles already defined.
- Click Add role. The Add role window opens.
- Give the role a Name. Keep it short and descriptive, so you can easily understand what it is for. For example, ‘Accounts team member’.
- Enter a Description. Describe what a user with this role can do. For example ‘Allows users to perform all basic accounts functions.’
- Enter a Key. The key is how your code references the role in Kinde. It should be a word that is easy to reference in code and match in your product. You should also follow a naming convention to help maintain your code.
- Select the permissions that are included in the role by switching them on. See also Define user permissions.
- Click Save.
Edit user roles
User roles are dynamic and refreshed via the issued token. This means that any changes you make will be applied to users, the next time they sign in.
We don’t recommend editing role keys, once a role is in use. It will break the code link between your product and the defined role.
- In the Business menu at the top of the screen, choose Roles. If you already have roles, you’ll see a list of them.
- Select the three dots next to the role you want to edit and choose Edit.
- Make the changes you want and select Save.