Assign default roles for new sign upsLink to this section
When users first sign up to your app or service, you can automatically assign them roles and permissions. This means users are able to interact with your application immediately - in the way you define - without waiting for additional access.
For example, you might assign everyone a role for basic permissions, and have other more advanced functions available on request.
There are two ways to to do this:
- Make any of your existing roles available to new sign ups - Edit a pre-defined role and switch on the Assign to new users option.
- Create a new role for this purpose - see below. Note that you need to have permissions set up already.
Create and enable a default role for new sign upsLink to this section
- Go to Settings > Roles. The User roles page opens. If you already have roles set up, these are shown here.
- Select Add role. The Add role window opens.
- Give the role a Name. Keep it short and descriptive, so you can easily understand what it is for. For example, ‘Sign up basic access’.
- Enter a Description. Describe what a user with this role can do. For example ‘Allows new users to perform all basic actions.’
- Enter a Key. The key is how your code references the role in Kinde. Ideally, it’s a word that is easy to reference in code and match in your product. You should also follow a naming convention to help maintain your code. E.g.
- Select the Assign to new users option.
- Select the permissions that are included in the role by switching them on.
- Select Save. All new users who sign up to your application will be assigned this role.